I’m always talking about self care, but for good reason! I hope that if you’re checking out this blog, you are already aware that your mind, body, and soul need rest in order to keep functioning well. It all comes back to living intentionally. This post is simple: a big, long list of 101 self care ideas! I broke them down into categories so it’s easy to find the kind of self care that is most helpful for you. Some of them also include links to other blog and articles that have been helpful for me.
And this post comes with a FREE self care checklist to help you stay on track. Get it here!
Quick and Easy:
- Put a few drops of essential oils on your shower floor for steam that’s also aromatherapeutic.
- Practice mindful, intentional breathing for at least 1 minute.
- Stretch for 5 minutes (hurdle stretch, grasp the inside of a door frame and walk forward to stretch shoulders, try to touch your toes).
- Do 20 jumping jacks.
- Put your phone away 15 minutes before bedtime.
- Step outside. Even if you only have a few minutes, enjoy some fresh air.
- Listen to a podcast in the car instead of mindless radio and commercials.
- Watch a funny video (cute and funny animals are always my favorite).
- When you’re feeling stressed, stop for 5-10 minutes and make a “brain dump” list.
- Take a “coffee nap.” Drink coffee or espresso right before a 20 minute nap. You’ll wake up right when the caffeine kicks in!
Food & Beverage:
- Bring nourishing snacks with you to work to keep your energy up throughout the day.
- Curl up with a hot cup of coffee, tea, or cocoa.
- Have a glass of wine (always in moderation!).
- Balance healthy foods with an occasional favorite indulgence.
- Eat a piece of dark chocolate.
- Cook at home as much as possible for one week, avoid going out for dinner.
- Make a delicious healthy smoothie.
- Eat fruit and veggies every day.
- Drink some green tea.
- Drink more water!
- Hot Stone Massage
- Salt Cave
- Flotation Therapy
- Sound healing
- Personal trainer
- Take a walk, even if it’s short!
- Practice yoga.
- Go for a run.
- Stretch, longer this time.
- Go to a fitness class, like Zumba or Pilates.
- Join a gym (only counts if you actually go).
- Go for a hike in nature.
- Ride your bike.
- Exercise however you like!
- Write reflections of the week, month, or even year in your journal.
- Write someone a thank you note.
- Write yourself a letter, with the words you need to hear and loving affirmations to yourself.
- Cuddle with a pet.
- No pets? Visit the humane society and play with a few.
- Reach out to a friend or loved one.
- Write down a list of things you’re thankful for.
- Choose an inspirational quote or verse and stick it on your bathroom mirror for a week.
- Forgive someone; address a conflict that’s been bothering you.
- Go to counseling.
- Attend a support group.
- Attend a church service or small group.
- Unplug for an entire day.
- Donate your stuff or volunteer time at a local charity.
- Put on some music and dance it out!
- Play an instrument.
- Sing, whether to yourself or an audience.
- Paint or draw something.
- Learn a new creative skill, like jewelry making or glass blowing or wood carving or painting or pottery or calligraphy or anything you want!
- Take an art class.
- Do some creative writing, like poetry or story writing.
- Make something with your hands.
- Knit or crochet.
- Give yourself a hand massage.
- Practice reflexology.
- Take a bubble bath.
- Take an Epsom salt bath.
- Go to bed early.
- Wake up early, so you have time to slow down your morning routine.
- Paint your nails.
- If it’s winter and you have a fireplace, sit by your fire!
- Burn a favorite candle or incense.
- Use an essential oils diffuser.
- Rub your favorite oil blends on your wrist, neck, or behind ears with a carrier oil for quick aromatherapy.
- Put on your PJs as soon as you get home from work.
- Watch your favorite movie.
- Take a nap.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Get a houseplant.
- Start a window herb garden.
- Declutter- set a time limit so it’s not overwhelming.
- Map out your schedule for the upcoming week.
- Get your meal planning out of the way.
- Create a vision board for yourself.
- Keep track of your expenses.
- Start a simple budget.
Out and About:
- Grab some coffee at your favorite coffee shop.
- Get lunch somewhere new.
- Have coffee or a meal with a friend.
- Have a girls’ night.
- Enjoy a date night with your S.O. (bonus if it’s kid free!)
- Take a day trip to a place you’ve never been.
- Browse through a funky antique store, thrift shop, or farmers’ market.
- Visit the local library or bookstore.
- Go to a park.
- Walk or bike a local trail.
- Check out a local venue with live music.
Hope you enjoyed these ideas! Comment if you have more ideas to add, or share what has worked for you.
Don’t forget to share if you loved this post, and subscribe for your free self care checklist!