Sooo I got nominated for a Liebster Award! And I had no idea what that was… oopsie. But I looked it up and realized that a Liebster Award is an online-only, from-bloggers-to-bloggers informal award that simply recognizes bloggers who are out there doing and writing great things. Upon realizing this, I got all smiley and thankful for the honor of a Liebster Award.
First off, thank you to my friend and fellow blogger Randi at Life’s Simple Adventures for nominating me! You might recognize Randi from the guest posts she has done for Ivory & Pine. She blogs about health & fitness, wellness, and of course, life’s simple adventures. Randi nominated a few of us, and provided us questions to answer on the blog. So here we go!
My Interview Questions:
Why did you start blogging?
I work full-time as a therapist in a crisis setting. Mental health is a vast, vast spectrum, but I often work with people struggling with severe mental illnesses and addictions. It can honestly be exhausting sometimes; compassion fatigue is real in this job. Ivory & Pine is my creative outlet. It lets me connect to my professional knowledge and passions in a way that is more casual, relatable, and fun. It helps me remember why I became a counselor in the first place.
What drove you to your niche?
Ha, well I basically answered this one in the first question. Mental health/self care seems obvious, but I actually did a lot of research on how to find my niche. It came down to this: my niche is the intersection of what I love, what I know a lot about, and what can help people. It’s not surprising that self care was the answer for me.
What is your ideal day?
I love the combination of slow morning and fun-filled afternoon. My ideal day includes coffee and brunch, spending time with my boyfriend and a few close friends, and exploring something new! I love to try new restaurants and explore new places. My ideal day would be pretty carefree and chill.
If you could do any job what would it be?
I love the idea of being a health or life coach. I’m thinking about that as a path for the future actually, as my background in counseling could make it a fairly seamless transition. Running a business would be a big responsibility, but to have that flexibility and get to pour into clients who are excited to change sounds really rewarding.
If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?
Puerto Rico, because my grandparents met there and it was always a special place for them. The UK, because I’ve never been and have always loved British culture. And somewhere in the Himalayas, because the tallest mountains in the world are this majestic enigma to me.
What keeps you motivated?
I have to remind myself why I’m doing this in the first place, whether it’s blogging, my career, my relationships, anything. Coming back to my core values, faith, and understanding of purpose help. But I’d be lying if I was always able to motivate myself and jump right back in. I don’t know anyone who’s 100% motivated all the time. The support of my closest friends and family is huge.
What do you do for fun?
Sleep (ha). But really. I love taking walks, especially on trails. I love the mountains. I’m not a great hiker per se, but I love exploring. I love wandering cute little towns and discovering new coffee shops. I love to travel in general. And I love music… I’ve been playing the piano most of my life. It’s no longer a competition or a grade, so sitting down to play now is more soothing than it’s ever been. I have a ukulele too and that’s really relaxing for me.
What is your biggest life goal?
This is a tricky question for me. Some days I want to change the world, and other days I just want a simple, quiet life. If I can live out the purpose God has for me, that is enough.
What is your all time favourite book?
At first, I listed 4 or 5 books, ha. But I decided to stick to the rules, and the winner actually is easy. I love all of The Chronicles of Narnia… I re-read them every few years. They are an incredible combination of classic literature, children’s imagination, thrilling adventure and fantasy, and spiritual allegory. I will never forget the lessons C.S. Lewis taught me through those books.
Where is your happy place?
A quiet beach or a mountain’s summit.
What is your motto?
“Bind my wandering heart to thee.”
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I was in marching band in high school. I played the snare drum.
2. I grew up in Indiana and did both degrees there too… a BS in Psychology at Indiana State and a MA in Counseling at a tiiiiny school called Grace College.
3. I once went whale watching in Cape Cod and it was so amazing!
4. I have traveled overseas to Italy and South Korea, with a short stop at the Tokyo airport.
5. I was a music major in college before switching to psychology.
6. I have moved 10 times and had 11 jobs since I was 18.
7. I grew up with a little Shih Tzu and I seriously miss having a dog! Hoping to get one of my own soon.
8. I had knee surgery a couple years ago because a random bone was growing out of my femur.
9. I broke my other knee when I was 18 by tripping on sand and falling down a hill. Yes, sand.
10. I have climbed 3 14ers, a.k.a. the nickname for the 50+ 14,000 ft. peaks in Colorado. Grey’s Peak, Torrey’s Peak, and Mt. Bierstadt, if you’re interested! I’ve also been to the summit of Pikes Peak, but I rode there so it doesn’t really count!
11. I could eat Mexican food every day and be perfectly happy.
Bloggers I’m nominating:
Melissa at FabYOUlous Life
Hayley at Hayley Richardson
Ali at Punch Drunk Soul
Jess at Confident Life
D at Be You and Thrive
You ladies are all fabulous bloggers and entrepreneurs with whom I’ve gotten to connect personally. The world is brighter with your lives and energy in it!
The Rules for You:
- Answer the eleven questions that the person has asked you (check the message I sent!)
- Give eleven random facts about yourself.
- Find 5 – 11 blogs that you think deserve this award and nominate them. Let them know that you have nominated them.
- Provide 11 questions prepared by yourself for them to answer.
- List these rules in your blog post.